7-Compartment Clerestory Luggage Composite
Wooden bodied bogie coach
Restored, in need of light refurbishment
No. 818 is a 'composite' clerestory coach (having compartments for both passengers and the train's guard) absolutely typical of the kind of vehicle used for passenger trains through Kirkby Stephen East between 1900 and 1945. It was built at York in 1903.
The coach consists of seven passenger compartments and a luggage compartment. The three centre compartments were first class but downgraded to third in 1930. Following withdrawal it passed to National Coal Board ownership in October 1946; upon withdrawal at Ashington Colliery it was stored at the Templetown Works in Consett until December 1973 when it moved to Beamish where it was restored to NER condition. Its second stay at Kirkby Stephen East is for a minimum five-year loan following refurbishment.
Telephone: 07792 556919
Address: Kirkby Stephen East Station,
Cumbria CA17 4LA