Diagram 114 third class corridor brake
Wooden bodied, 'Teak' finish
Privately owned, part of LNERCA fleet
This is a standard 61ft 6in long coach built by the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Company for the London & North Eastern Railway in 1930. Unlike No. 60505, it is a corridor coach, in that it has a corridor along one side with the seating provided in four separate compartments; each of these compartments has an exterior door on the non-corridor side. It also has a guard's compartment in the centre with handbrake and vacuum brake apparatus, along with provision for luggage and parcels at one end.
The coach remained in passenger use until 1962, after which its interior was gutted and it became part of a brakedown train at Healey Mills, surviving in this guise until 1980. It was rescued for preservation at Embsay in 1980 but its restoration didn't begin until it was acquired by its current owners in 2002. It returned to service in 2013 and is presently based at Kirkby Stephen East on loan.
Telephone: 07792 556919
Address: Kirkby Stephen East Station,
Cumbria CA17 4LA